Monday, July 15, 2013

Rice & Beans


I was looking for something new and different to cook, and I found a recipe that looked promising on pinterest.  I am always looking for new crock pot meals, because it's so nice not to have to worry about cooking in the evenings.  I changed it up a bit, and the results were blog-worthy.  Definitely a keeper.

Ingredients:

1 pound dry red beans
6 cups water
1 bell pepper (chopped)
3 celery stalks (chopped)
6 tbsp dried minced onion
3 tsp minced garlic
2 cans chicken broth
1 lb sausage
1 tbsp Tony's Creole Seasoning
Cooked Rice

1.  Rinse the beans in a strainer and pour them into the crock pot.  Add water & chicken broth.

2.  Add the chopped vegetables, dried onion, and garlic.  Slice the sausage into bite-sized pieces and add to the crock pot as well.

3.  Add the Creole seasoning and stir.  Cook on high for about 7 hours.  --The Creole seasoning adds quite a kick, so you may want to add even less if you don't like spicy food.  The original recipe called for 2 tbsp, but I only added 1 and it was still pretty strong.

4.  Serve over rice.

I was worried that my picky hubby wouldn't like it because of all the veggies, but you really don't notice them and the flavor is great!

No comments:

Post a Comment