Thursday, May 22, 2014

Single Serve Macaroni and Cheese (in the microwave)


 I wanted something for when my 1 child left at home wanted macaroni and cheese without the other 2/3 of the box would being stiff and cold by the time other box-mac-and-cheese eaters got home from school....but those single serve microwave cups are a little pricey. 

 I'm not saying I would never buy them, but they're not something I buy typically or would have on hand at request. (It's bad enough I'm buying those expensive little squeezy applesauce things she likes for when we need a snack on the go.)
Full recipe below...my ramblings first...
Anyways, use 6 T macaroni noodles. For water, I have tried different amounts, and I think somewhere between 3/4 c and 1 cup is just right. It's a little stiff with only 3/4 cup (definitely don't go less!), at 1 cup it's a little "soupy" which most of my kids like, but more than 1 cup and you need to drain it. (I was trying to avoid the need for draining water at the end.)
Do not try to add milk (or even the orange puree) to the microwave part - it's just a mess. Let me be the guinea pig and save you the trouble of experimenting with that.

It needs a big bowl because the water actually (bubbles) boils in the microwave and will spill over a normal eating bowl.
 My microwave took 10-11 minutes. (Yeah, it's probably faster boiling stovetop, but this is less mess for 1 kid.)

When it comes out, stir (or poke at it) with a spoon to break up any clumps.

You can add the milk first and give a little stir before adding in the rest.
I don't actually measure the butter.
 Or the orange puree (this is a mixture of carrots and sweet potato cooked and pureed (with a little water) and then stored in the freezer to add to things like this. You can use 1-2 tsp without noticing the flavor. Up to the 3 tsp (=1 Tbsp) is the most I would add in (I liked it, but could taste the veggie flavor), unless you actually want to have that flavor in your macaroni....which I doubt your kids do!

 Anyways, mix it all up - it'll look like it's clumping, but just keep stirring another minute. It'll be fine. 

Done.

Recipe:

Single Serve Macaroni and Cheese

6 T (dry) macaroni noodles
3/4 - 1 cup water
           {Mix these in a medium microwave safe bowl and microwave for 10-12 minutes}
3 Tbsp milk (or more if you feel it's too dry still
1-2 (or up to 3 if your kids are flavor-oblivious!) tsp orange puree*
2 tsp butter (I used tub butter, but any kind is fine)
1 Tbsp cheese blend powder (food storage kind)
salt/pepper - just a sprinkle
           {Add all of these things - all at once or wet first then cheese powder- and stir until it's smooth}

*The orange puree isn't necessary, but I think it actually helps it all smooth out a little and adds some healthy in. (I got the idea from The Sneaky Chef cookbook I got for my birthday. I've tried a few recipes and some have been great, others fine, and one I won't make again, but overall, I like the ideas to stick in my regular recipes.)

If you happen to be counting calories this is 260 calories (that doesn't include the veggie puree b/c when I could calories, I don't count vegetables. Otherwise, I wouldn't eat them, which is kind of contrary to the point of being healthier, you know?) :)



1 comment:

  1. Hi, I like your recipe. Especially the orange puree. I have to try that for my kid.

    And here's a video I'd like to share of my minion helping me make mac and cheese https://youtu.be/y2tfA5CKPgY

    ReplyDelete