Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Omelets (Omelettes) by Minion-CIO

In honor of Father's day being this past Sunday, the one meal I CAN'T make that my husband can...
From here on out - his words/instructions - 
and maybe one day when I'm feeling brave again, I'll try them now that I have specifics on his method! :)

Advanced preparation is critical. Before heating any pans, be sure to cut and portion all vegetables, meats, cheeses, etc. The layer of egg is thin and cooks very quickly. If you pour the eggs and then turn around to cut some vegetables, by the time you go back to the stove, the bottom of the egg may have toasted already.

If you're going to add any crispy vegetables, I recommend sauteing them in the pan (with oil or water) or at least heating them up to soften them before adding them to the egg. The same goes with any meats added- they need to be fully cooked and chopped before being added.

Crack all eggs into a mixing bowl. 
Add enough milk to appear approximately equal to the volume of egg yolks (for 18 eggs, I used 1/3 C milk).

Beat the eggs until the mixture is consistent. 


If it's as dark as the yolk, add more milk. If it's pale like buttermilk or egg nog, add more eggs. It should be the color of generic scrambled eggs (light, sunny yellow).
Add salt and pepper to taste, typically in equal amounts.


When all is ready, preheat a pan (or two, or a skillet) to medium-low heat. Be prepared to turn the temperature down if you're going to make multiple omelettes. Low heat is key for preparing these, since the layer is so thin. Grease the pan with butter, Crisco, spray oil, whatever works. Use a ladle to scoop out the egg mixture. The little minions like a 2-egg omelette, so I scoop a little less than a ladle full. But the bigger minions like 3-egg omelettes, so I scoop a ladle full and then some for them.
Use a spatula to form the egg mixture into a large, flat rectangle on the pan (or cover the entire bottom if it's a circle). As soon as the center area starts to appear dry, add the toppings. Spread them evenly. As soon as the outer edges start to appear dry, fold the omelette from one end to the other.

I typically start with the messy end so the final product looks neat.

Leave the omelette on the pan a few seconds rolled up, to solidify it a bit, then place on a plate and serve immediately.


We typically end up eating in shifts because the first omelettes out would be cold by the time the last ones rolled off, if we all ate together. But for that reason, it's a great weekend morning meal, when everyone's running around doing their own thing anyway.

I like salsa on mine. I've seen ketchup used as well. Sauteed mushrooms and green peppers are great. Any breakfast meat (or cold cuts or pepperoni) is a welcome addition. I am a fan of adding hash browns right into the middle. When I rummage through the fridge and throw in anything I can find, I call it a "garbage omelette".


Back to me...Doesn't he make that look so easy? (maybe it is...I haven't tried since he's got the touch)
I like ham/cheddar. (Cheddar/Bacon/Tomato is good too.)

My girls? Cheese only

What's in your omelet? :)



1 comment: