Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Greek Pita

I found this recipe online last year when I was looking for more healthy recipes. And it was easy and fast and good. (Well, the kids griped a little, so we won't call it a favorite, but I think if I give it a fun name they might change their minds next time.) :) I really liked it.


Greek Pita
            Makes 8 pita pockets (I  took the original and multiplied it out to make more than 1)

4 (6-inch) pitas (cut in half)
1 cup chopped romaine lettuce (1 small head is enough)
1 cup hummus
1 1/3 chopped cucumber (1 large cucumber is enough)
3-4 small chopped tomatoes
½ cup low-fat plain yogurt or sour cream
4 teaspoons McCormick Greek seasoning (could go less to make milder)

Mix all ingredients (except lettuce and pitas). Cut pitas in half (so there are 2 ‘pockets’ to fill). Fill each pita with lettuce and then with hummus mixture. Serve immediately.

(The original just listed what the pita was filled with, so I multiplied the ingredients and mixed most of the ingredients and filled it that way.)

Know what would make this better? 
Homemade pitas!
...thus begins the search for my next recipe to add to the book!

Got a creative kid-friendly name for these?

2 comments:

  1. I really want to try these, but I'm scared of Jake's reaction. Do you think he'd like them at all?

    Also, I tried homemade pitas last week...I was going to blog about the recipe, but they were a flop :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I could picture him gripping about these. I don't think he eats tomatoes? You could make them to go with something like soup.

    ReplyDelete