Saturday, January 12, 2013

Chocolate Buttercream Icing


For Christmas, I received some fun new cake decorating supplies that I've been wanting to try out.  Today I happened to be craving some chocolate-y goodness, and so I whipped up 2 dozen of these babies.

This is, by far, my favorite icing recipe.  I'm usually not a big fan of icing, but you'll find me licking the beaters when I finish up a batch of this stuff!  It's also one of Jake's favorite desserts :)

Ingredients:
6 oz semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup unsalted butter
2.5 cups sifted powdered sugar

Directions:

1. Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave using 30-second intervals and stirring in between intervals.  It should take about 1.5 minutes.  Once the chocolate is smooth, place the bowl in the refrigerator to cool down.

2. Soften the butter using 10-second intervals in the microwave--be careful not to melt it.  Cream the butter until smooth (using your mixer).

3.  Stir in the cooled chocolate and mix until smooth.

4.  Lastly, mix in the sifted powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time until it is all incorporated and smooth.

Once you finish, bake your favorite cupcakes and frost...mmmm good.  This recipe will conservatively frost 24 cupcakes.

You may have to double it if you want to really pile on the icing :)

2 comments:

  1. OK, you've convinced me - I'm going to try it - but not today - not enough calories left to enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! I am glad you posted already. :-) I need to remember my camera when cooking. This looks very yummy!

    ReplyDelete