Thursday, January 31, 2013

Chicken Tetrazzini

This has been a crazy week - which is why I'm posting on Thursday instead of Monday, like I had planned...
We had several projects due last week (no, not the fun craft projects, but the school projects parents have to oversee and do with the kid). Then a birthday weekend (including me speaking in church), followed by another busy week of birthday preparations for the twins - yes, that's 3 birthdays in 1 week around here....plus all the normal daily stuff we have going on.
For us, that means, there are usually several casseroles involved that week for dinner.
Here's my easy fall back:

Chicken Tetrazzini (sometimes, chicken-less tetrazzini)



First, cook some chicken - I do about 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts - I just sprinkle them (frozen, straight from the bag) with salt, pepper, and maybe some onion powder, then put them in the oven (on a pan, in a glass dish, whatever) - uncovered.
My mom boils hers. I've also done it in the crockpot, but I don't like cleaning that for something that can be done in the oven.
You can even use canned chicken. (Not as great, but still good - and uses up food storage.)

When the chicken's almost done, cook a pound of spaghetti noodles (that's for 9x13 size).

When the chicken's done (about an hour at 350) - either cut it up, or (my husband found this trick online) - put it in the kitchenaid mixer with the cookie paddle for about 20-30 seconds - shreds it quickly - no effort. This time I just cut it up.

Drain your noodles. Mix them (in the pot they cooked in is fine) with 2 cans cream of whatever soup. (We use 2 chicken b/c we have a lot of mushroom-haters in our house, but we used to do 1 chicken, 1 mushroom.) Mix in the chicken too...unless you have some chicken-haters, then just put it on top of the half for those who'll eat the chicken.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with 8 oz (about 2 cups) cheddar cheese.

Bake until the cheese is melted and all is warmed through (about 15 minutes on 350).


Quick- open a can of vegetables or two and call it a meal. (Maybe some rolls from the freezer I can defrost?)
 Done....onto the rest of the busy night, right? :)
 

1 comment:

  1. I'm super excited to try shredding chicken in the kitchenaid mixer tomorrow. I hate shredding chicken. Thanks for the tip! I hope your week calms down :)

    ReplyDelete