Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Heart Stromboli

It's February......Time to take down the snowmen decorations and put up some hearts!

Last year I decided to start 'theming' my meals for each little holiday - you know, the ones that are important to kids but not important enough to get out of school or work for. (The kids really loved april fool's day foods...but that's for later...)

I've never been a huge valentine's fan - I do, however, like pink and hearts and fun for kids - so we celebrate with the kids. Last year, that meant, dinner got 'decorated'. It was a hit and will become a tradition for us most years. And it's not that hard. And start to finish - it's about 1 1/2 hours (includes 45 minute dough rise time).



I start with my pizza dough. You could also use premade dough (refrigerated/frozen, unbaked) or some other canned bread you like.

Sizing - Last year I used dough for 3 crusts, but this year, I may use 2 crusts worth of dough, as this is a little much for the kids to eat. (One of the hearts is actually double in size - I experimented with how much dough to use. I think for a hungry man, it was a "hearty" serving, but for me, it would have been too much.)




  For easy to copy & print directions:
Start with pizza dough:
(3 crusts)
6-7 cups all purpose flour (if you use bread flour or whole wheat, it will take less)
2T sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp yeast (for cold slow rise) or 1T (for immediate rise) - or 1 packet for either
¼ cup oil
2 cups warm water
Here for mixing directions.

or (2 crusts - ingredients are scaled to be rounded to easiest, but still good measurements)
4 - 4.5 cups flour
4 tsp sugar
2/3 tsp salt (just guess close enough or use 1/2 tsp)
2 tsp yeast (for immediate rise)
2 T oil
1 1/3 cups warm water
Still here for mixing directions.


After rise time....

Divide dough for 2 or 3 crusts recipe into 8 parts. Roll out each part into a long rectangle (5”x20”)
I found it easier to divide into 4 parts, roll out each part into 10" x 20" rectangle, and then (using a pizza wheel), cut the rectangle into 2 very skinny rectangles.

Spread pasta (or pizza) sauce over the rectangle, leaving a margin of space at edges. Top with cheese and other fillings.  Roll up from long end. Moisten edges and pinch seams shut.

You may want to line your cookie sheet with foil as the cheese does leak a little.  Shape “snake” into a heart shape, placing ends at top center of heart. (I covered in some cheese since these ends were ‘empty.’)
Brush with egg; sprinkle with parsley (or any other seasonings you like).

Bake for about 15 minutes at 400 degrees F.
Serve as is or with sauce for dipping.

Happy Valentine's Day!

2 comments:

  1. I love it. I am always looking for ideas for themed holidays and this would be one my kids would eat :)

    ReplyDelete