Friday, April 19, 2013

Honey Baked Ham


While I was mulling over what to cook this week, I realized that we eat a lot of chicken and a lot of hamburger.  So in an effort to add some variety to the menu, I went to one of my favorite recipe websites and scrolled down their list of pork/ham recipes.  I decided upon this recipe, and I'm sure glad I did, because it was delicious.

Ingredients:

7-10 lb spiral ham (mine was just shy of 7lbs--try to make sure it will fit into your crock pot)
2 Tbsp spicy Dijon mustard
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup water

Gravy/glaze ingredients:

2 Tbsp corn starch
1 Tbsp water

Directions:

1.  Spray your crock pot with cooking spray and put your ham inside.  Mine wouldn't quite fit, so I sliced the top of and put it into the side of the crock pot.  It wasn't super pretty, but it worked.  The ham be so tender that it will fall apart when you remove it from the crock pot anyway.

2.   In a sauce pan, prepare the sauce by heating the mustard, sugar, honey, nutmeg, and cinnamon on medium heat until boiling and allowing it to simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring often.

3.  Pour the water into the crock pot and then drizzle the sauce over your ham.

4.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours.  (I did 8 hours, but there were a couple of blackened places on the ham that still tasted good, but I don't typically eat blackened food, so next time I'll try 6 hours for a 7lb ham.)

5.  Remove the cooked ham from the crock pot.  To make the gravy glaze, pour the leftover sauce (from the crock pot) into a pan and heat on medium.  I used a sieve to keep the chunks out.  Add the cornstarch and the water.

6.  Heat until boiling while continually whisking until the "gravy" thickens.  Pour the glaze over your ham and potatoes/rice and enjoy!

I forgot to get a picture of the cooked ham in the crock pot, because I was in a hurry.  I used the missionaries as guinea pigs, and they thought it was delicious.  Jake loved it, and my mini minion ate tons of the sweet, glazed rice.  The leftovers will be perfect for some little pork sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment