Monday, April 29, 2013

Mexican Rice

Cinco de Mayo this Sunday (and fast Sunday for some of us) - what can be more festive (and more filling) than a big bowl of Mexican Rice? (It's good by itself, topped with sour cream, as a filling in a giant burrito - which is how this Sunday's menu has been voted to go around here - yum.)

I found this recipe years ago on some basic website (cooks.com) in a search to make Mexican rice myself.

        My husband used to make it when we first got married. He learned from a lady in California (where he served a mission for our church for 2 years, spending most of his time among the Hispanic population - he shared the gospel of Jesus Christ with them - and they in return, shared their food with him.)
        But that recipe, like most recipes from a seasoned cook in her kitchen wasn't specific enough for a new wife like me, so I looked for a "real recipe" - with numbers.
        I found one, and we've stuck with it ever since.


 They both start out the same - sauteing the rice in some oil, then adding in the rest, including liquids, to cook until done.







I make mine (per original recipe) in an electric skillet - and I use 5 cups of water for a double batch (2 1/2 for single) - but if you use a pot on the stove top, you have to decrease the water (2 cups for single batch, 4 cups for double).

No matter how much I messed with the temperature to get the pot to cook the same as the skillet, I still needed to decrease the liquid.




The skillet takes about 20 minutes to cook - the stovetop will take longer (sometimes up to 40 min...but my stove top has has a lot of issues lately, so that could be high if you're stove is fully functional and newer.)

It looks uneven when you first unlid it (skillet), but give it a stir...

and it looks great!



Easy Mexican Rice

Printed from COOKS.COM
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil

1 cup of long grain white rice
2 1/2 cups water (2 cups stovetop)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. garlic powder (sometimes, I use a spoonful of garlic puree instead while the oil is cooking)
(sometimes I throw in 1 tsp of onion powder too)
8 oz can of tomato sauce 
(This easily doubles - just use 15 oz can of tomato sauce instead)


In a skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add rice and cook until lightly browned. Add water and remaining ingredients, bring to a boil.

Cover, reduce heat to "simmer" or low, and simmer until rice is tender. 
(about 15-20 minutes in a skillet, 25-35 in a pot on the stove, at least mine)


I like mine topped with sour cream. This is a very mild rice - nothing spicy, so the kids eat it too. My husband spices his up with some Valentina.


What's on your menu for Cinco de Mayo? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment